Information for Photographers
All orchid hobbyists and photographers are invited to submit digital images for consideration as the " Photo of the Week" to be featured on the homepage of the AOS website. You do not need to be an AOS member, although we encourage you to join. The following guidelines must be followed in order to make the process smooth and efficient. DO NOT mail or email photos to the AOS! They will be discarded and will not be considered for publication.
- Photos must be in digital format.
- High resolution image files of at least 2000x3000 pixels must be available for possible print publication.
- Submit only photos taken by you. Do not submit someone else's photograph unless they have assigned legal copyright for you to do so and you have written documentation to prove so.
- Photos should be submitted to the Flickr group Orchid Photo of the Week. If you do not have a Flickr account, you will need to open one here (they are free).
- Photos must be tagged - POTW (tags are added in the column to the right of your photo after it has been uploaded). Tags will allow moderators to search photos for consideration as the AOS Photo of the Week. Photos not tagged POTW will not be found.
NOTE: adding the POTW tag to images submitted the Flickr group Orchid Photo of the Week constitutes permission for the AOS to publish tagged images on its website and link to these images in the group pool. Photo credit and copyright will accompany publication but no further remuneration is offered or implied.
- Photos should be accompanied by a short descriptive text. Fifty words is ideal. The text may be about the orchid: where you photographed it; where you got it if it is yours; how you grow it; interesting characteristics such as fragrance or lasting qualities. Or tell us about your photographic or post processing techniques. Photos with inspired text will be given preference.
- For now, we don't care when you took the photo, but this is subject to revision.
Depending on the quantity and quality of images submitted, a magazine feature may be considered in the future featuring "best-of-the-month" selections.